Saturday, February 23, 2008

Shan Da- first impressions

Arrived in Jinan!


I got in at 7am yesterday after an overnight train trip from Shanghai. Last night, my first night, I slept for 14 hours! Didn't feel so tired yesterday, but at 8pm I tried reading and realised I would be better off sleeping- and was so surprised how late I slept! Must have needed it!



Anyway- my room is alright, I was initially a little shocked, but woke up feeling better about it. At least it is cheap! The floor is concrete, with some pieces of lino covering 3/4 of it. That is the worst thing actually. The shock of how dirty is was- when I wiped my finger along the surfaces it came off black!, has been remedied with a trip to the shops for cleaning products! It seems Jinan is a dusty city. The floor also need cleaning- and we have to all do this ourselves- with our own things! Luckily other students have left mops and things in the common kitchen area.

I tried to mop the floor but just made large blackish puddles on the floor, and had nothing to dry them up with. In a fit of despair I left my room to find internet- but the internet room is apparently closed on weekends and has limited opening hours. I ended up going to the supermarket, and buying a 12Y towel and some other stuff, running into the other girls from Sydney Uni, found out that their rooms are just as bad- perhaps worse as they didn't have any lino on the floor and feeling much better.

I did not feel so welcome when I arrived thus- and did not unpack my bags or really relax until I had wiped all the cupboards and things.

I have my own room though, with a small bathroom (toilet has passed the 'number two test') so when I shower the whole room gets wet!, a phone, a TV that doesn't work yet..., a desk, bookshelf, bedside table, cupboard. Thus plenty of space for my limited belongings! Feel I need to buy more to fill it up, but that will just lead to problems later on!



I was thrown into a 90 minute test in the middle of the day yesterday too, and don't think I performed to my potential, but having not done any written chinese for a year, I'm a bit rusty! Apparently classes don't start till Wednesday, so I've got a couple of days to settle in, and learn where the good places to eat are!

No comments: